Mobile DAISY Player is an electronic book reader for Symbian phones. It allows both sighted and vision-impaired mobile users to take books in Digital Accessible Information System (DAISY) format with them wherever they go.
The DAISY format was designed to make books accessible to those with print disabilities, as well as sighted users who simply want a standard way to take books with them wherever they go. The format allows for books to contain text, audio, or a combination of both. It also makes navigation from point to point within the book easier and more accessible compared to analog recordings. Mobile DAISY Player supports all these formats, allowing you to access the widest possible variety of electronic books.
- Mobile DAISY Player is the first and only mobile phone-based DAISY application to support both DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3 (NISO) book formats.
- Support for Microsoft "Save as DAISY", free open source add-in for Microsoft Office Word which allows you to generate XML and DT book DAISY books from your PC.
- Support for the new Bookshare book format.
- New feature to convert MP3 audio files to basic DAISY books.
- Support for NFB-NEWSLINE\'s free publications offered through the NFB-NEWSLINE In Your Pocket feature (http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org).
- Two modes of navigation: the normal reading mode and the virtual cursor mode. The normal reading mode is active when the book is in continuous playback mode, and is playing either audio or text content. When playback is paused, the virtual cursor mode is active, allowing you to navigate by character, word, sentence or paragraph.
- Go to page feature.
- Configurable font sizes and screen colors provide maximum readability of on-screen text
- Simplified installation allows you to copy the book contents directly to the memory card with no intermediate steps or external programs.
- Support for text-only, audio-only, or mixed-mode books.
- Variable playback speed allows audio content to be reproduced at a faster or slower speed without changing pitch.
- Quick and easy navigation to any point in the book.
- Ability to set bookmarks to favorite places in the contents screen.
- Auto-bookmark and resume to last point in the book.
- Independent licensing allows use with or without Mobile Speak.