Code Factory’s screen readers consist of software applications installed on a mobile phone, which allow you to use the device even if you cannot read the screen visually. Information displayed on the screen is rendered in synthesized speech output generated using text-to-speech (TTS) technology and routed through the device’s speaker or a headset. Screen contents can also be presented in Braille if the mobile phone or PDA is connected to a Braille device with a refreshable Braille display. Speech and Braille output can be used at the same time, or independently, to perform many tasks on the phone, including the following:
- Make and receive calls.
- Read and write SMS messages.
- Manage your contacts and call lists.
- Review the numbers entered in the dialer screen, and check the caller ID on incoming calls.
- Browse the Internet.
- Send and receive emails.
- Manage the calendar to schedule appointments and keep track of them using alarms and reminders.
- Create text and voice notes.
- Perform calculations.
- Listen to music and podcasts.
- Configure phone settings, profiles and ringtones, speed dial keys and voice tags.
- Share data between your device and other mobile phones and computers.
Two Mobile Speak Flavours: Symbian and Windows Mobile
There are two flavours of Mobile Speak: Mobile Speak for Symbian and Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile. Mobile Speak Smartphone and Mobile Speak Pocket have merged into Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile. This means that whatever supported Windows Mobile device you have, no matter whether it is a Smartphone or Pocket PC (touch screen devices), the Mobile Speak installation file is the same. Therefore there are 2 Mobile Speak installation files: Mobile Speak for Symbian (.sis) and Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile (.exe).
Main Product Highlights
- Highly intelligible Text-to-speech voices from leading providers such as Acapela, Fonix and Loquendo.
- Support for more than 30 languages including English (US and UK), Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Dutch (Netherlands and Belgium), Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Turkish, Polish, Czech, Icelandic, Greek, Russian, and Arabic.
- Compatibility with Mobile Magnifier product line.
- More than 60 user-configurable options.
- Keyboard shortcuts that allow changing of important settings on the fly and getting information with one press.
- Option to automatically mute speech.
- Command Help Mode available anywhere on the phone.
- Four accessible Games for free on Symbian: Mines, Spider, Fuse Mania and Tone Master.
- Support for Nokia Ovi Maps v3.03 and v3.04
- Support for built-in applications and 3rd-party programs designed to enhance the functionality of the mobile phone such as the KNFB Reader, the Magnilink Go from LVI, TweetS60, and Wayfinder Access on Symbian, or MSN Messenger, Skype and Microsoft Mobile office on Windows Mobile.
- Support for more than 20 Braille devices from Optelec, HumanWare, BAUM, Eurobraille, Handy Tech and ONCE.
Advanced Product Features
These features are common to Mobile Speak for Symbian and Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile:
- Mobile Speak 4 New Features: Cross Platform, Touch, MultiVoice, and Ready for the Next Generation.
- Advanced Web Browser Support
- Built-in User Dictionnaries to customize pronounciation
- Custom User Profiles
- Configurable Function Keys
- Support for Instant Messaging applications to chat with friends and colleagues (Fring on Symbian, MSN Messenger and Skype on Windows Mobile).
- Rewind Speech feature.
- Read the caller ID feature
Mobile Speak features advanced Braille support. Mobile Speak:
- Is the only screen reader to support Braille input using Grade 1 (uncontracted) as well as Grade 2 (contracted) Braille.
- Has logically assigned Braille commands that feature uniformity among supported Braille devices.
Supported Braille devices are:
- Freedom Scientific: Focus 40 Blue
- Optelec: Alva BC640, EasyLink 12 and EasyLink Keyboard
- Handytech: Braillino, Braille Wave, Easy Braille, and Braille Star
- Baum: VarioConnect 12, PocketVario, SuperVario and Pronto! organizers
- Humanware: Brailliant, BrailleConnect, BrailleNote Classic, BrailleNote mPower, BrailleNote PK, and Key Maestro
- EuroBraille: esys12, esys40.